Thursday, February 26, 2009

Say Hello to Harry Potter Jr.

No, it wasn't the Dark Lord that tried to do him in, it was a bookshelf at daycare. Still, he wound up with 7 stitches in his head. You know that when the school secretary calls your room at 9:00 in the morning and says "I've got Jaeden's day care on the line," that it can't be a good call!
I always thought that I would be really good in an emergency (I mean I am a teacher, and I've had my share of kid emergencies) but, when his teacher told me that he fell and hit his head and that he will probably need stitches, I freaked out! I tore down the hallway like an crazy lady and babbled unintelligibly to the school secretary that Jaeden needed stitches and that I had to go. So much for being good in an emergency-I got out to my car and it took me a few seconds to figure out how to make it work! Needless to say, I was a mess! I called Chip and after I talked to him, I was better and able to drive to the hospital.

The whole process prior to stitching was great, Jaeden was really calm and let the doctors look at him and apply the numbing gel. Chip and I shared our own stitches stories with Jaeden in hopes to help him deal with it better. The doctors and nurses were really nice and VERY patient with Jaeden-we were very thankful.

The stitches themselves were not nearly as traumatic as I anticipated-they wrapped Jaeden's arms to his sides so he couldn't move them and that helped a lot. The nurse held his head, I held his feet (I don't do procedures very well) and Chip was at his head talking to him and trying to distract him from what was going on. The doctor was super quick with the stitching-I thought about asking how well he could do with a couple of pairs of my slacks that are too long, but I didn't.

Anyway, we all survived and Jaeden is doing fine-I guess we have a real boy now! The funniest part of the whole incident was listening to Jaeden say his ABC's while being stitched up (oddly enough he only had to go through them once before the doctor was finished). It sounded something like this: "A... is for (sob, sob, sob)... Ant, (sob, sob) B is for... (sob, wail, sob)... boat, C (scream, sob) is for...I want to get out of here...Cat" You get the picture. Let's hope that we don't have to do that again anytime soon!

2 comments: