Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Birthday Boy

Dear Jaeden,

Today is your fourth birthday. I can't believe I'm writing those words. It only seems like yesterday that you were born-really and honestly I have no idea where all of the time went!

I remember the day you were born as if it had just happened. Sit back, and let me reminisce for awhile...



The story starts two weeks before you were born. Mommy, Daddy, Nana, Grandpa, Helen, George, and Aunt Jenny were all camping at Red River Gorge. It was a good trip-very warm for that time of year, but I had the worse back pain while we were there, especially when riding in a car. I just thought that it was because you were growing and running our of room. It wasn't that. Anyway, jump ahead two weeks to November 4. It was a Friday night and I was working the fall festival at school-it was a long night and Mommy was very tired. After the fall festival was over, I was stacking some folding chairs when someone warned me that I shouldn't be lifting them. I wish I had listened! That night I drug home two bags full of teacher's manuals because I was going to put together my maternity leave sub plans that weekend. I was beat, more tired than I had ever been in my life, and our house was a wreck! I remember, that night, having just enough energy to take a shower and flop on the couch.



The next morning I woke up at 6:30 am because my water broke-I didn't know what that meant even though I'd read in my pregnancy books that that meant you would be arriving soon! I woke your Daddy (it's a good thing he was thinking clearly because I wasn't) and he took care of everything! I kept telling him that my book says that it could be weeks before you were born, but he was insistent that we go to the hospital! Jaeden, if your Daddy hadn't been there, you might have been born in our bathroom!



When we got to the hospital I still wasn't convinced that you were really going to be born that day! There were two of us in the triage unit and I heard the nurses talking about us. They said, "One is just is some pain, and the other is definitely staying." I still didn't think they were talking about me (sometimes Mommy is really dense)! Finally, a nurse came in and said, "I spoke with the doctor on call and she said 'Let's have this baby today!'" I was shocked! All I could think about was how messy the house was and that your crib hadn't arrived yet! My mind was whirling one thousand miles a minute, I was so flabbergasted that I couldn't even ask the important questions like, "Will he be okay?" "Are his lungs developed enough?" "Will we get to take him home with us?" I could just stare stupidly at the NICU doctor, nod my head, and try to take in what he was telling us.



The day was long, Daddy and I watched UFC fights on the TV, I was hungry, and I wanted to call everyone and tell them, but I also didn't want everyone waiting in the hospital all day long (I knew it could be hours before you actually arrived). When I couldn't stand it any longer, I called everyone and they came racing to the hospital. You have a great Nana and Grandpa, and Aunt, and Momma and Poppaw. They couldn't wait to see you!



Finally, after many hours of waiting, you arrived. You stole my heart the instant that I saw you! After 71/2 months of wondering what you would look like-nothing could prepare me for how handsome you were! Shortly after your birth you were whisked away to the NICU to be monitored. You ended up staying in there for 8 days-you looked so pitiful hooked up to all those machines and IV's. I remember staring at the pure air numbers on your isolet, mentally willing them to go up so you could go home.



God was so good to our family, Jaeden. He took care of you while you were there and he worked everything out at home for your arrival-Nana cleaned our house, and, remember how I was worried because your crib hadn't arrived? Your crib arrived in the store that very day that you were born! It makes me teary just thinking about it, because, Jaeden, God is so big and so great, but he also cares about the little things, like a crib for a little baby boy. Never forget that. There is nothing too big that God cannot handle, but there is nothing so small that God doesn't care about. So, on days when you feel like God is against you, know that He isn't, he knows more about what you need and want than even you do. God will not let you down, but he will call you to trust him, even if you don't understand what he is doing.



So, you are four now, and you have blessed us in ways we could never imagine! We love your silly, quirky ways (even though they drive us crazy sometimes!). We laugh when you pretend to be different characters form books and movies, I get a lump in my throat when you sing "Jesus loves me," and when you quote verses like "God is love," and "God loved us and sent His son, Jesus" I pray that one day, those verses will be more than just words to you. That they will penetrate your heart, convict you of your sin, draw you to repentance, and save you. Because, Jaeden, when all is said and done, there is nothing more important than your relationship with Jesus. Don't ever fall for the lie that friends, money, jobs, girlfriends, or anything else is what gives you fulfillment. The only thing that will give you lasting contentment is claiming and resting in the saving power of Jesus-nothing is more important than your eternal destination.



Well, this letter took a more serious turn than I had planned, but I guess those things needed to be said! Mommy and Daddy love you sooooo much, monkey, and I hope you have a super happy birthday!



Love,

Mommy and Daddy

1 comment: